At a glance, Tones And I, the vocally-blessed “Dance Monkey” star, has very little in common with Amyl and The Sniffers, the punk-rockers on the rise with such numbers as “Some Mutts (Can’t Be Muzzled),” “Got You” and “Hertz.”
You’d be wrong.
Tones (real name Toni Watson) was raised in Melbourne before she was discovered busking on the streets of Byron Bay, a beach town in northern New South Wales. The rest is recorded music history, as “Dance Monkey” flew past 7 billion streams, topped charts in 30 territories and broke records in the U.K. and Australia.
Like Tones, Amyl and The Sniffers emerged from the Victorian capital, and they’re making fans everywhere they go with their sweaty pub-rock vibes and knuckly punk attitude.
The two Aussie acts formed a special bond during the 2022 APRA Music Awards Tuesday night (May 3) at Melbourne Town Hall, when Tones covered Amyl and The Sniffers’ “Guided By Angels,” shortlisted in the peer-voted category for song of the year.
The Kid LAROI’s “Stay” won the award, but Tones won hearts with her performance, which featured a backing band and orchestra. It was the type of pin-drop moment everyone in the room will talk about for years to come.
Tones also took home two awards on the night, while Amyl and The Sniffers are in the hunt for two trophies at the 2022 A2IM Libera Awards, set for June 16 in New York City.
Led from the front by pocket-powerhouse Amy Taylor, Amyl and The Sniffers are rocking out abroad with their trans-Atlantic tour well underway, following two Coachella performances and their U.S. late night debut on Seth Meyers.
They’re back in Australia for Splendour in the Grass this July, and the just-announced Falls Festival jaunt at year’s end and early 2023.
Tones’ sophomore album is on the way, and will feature a collaboration with her favorite artist Macklemore.
Watch the performance below.
- Ted Nugent reflects on his admiration for Eddie Van Halen: “I was fascinated to see what this guy was doing with a handmade guitar, back in ‘77” The Cat Scratch Fever star opened up on his admiration for guitarist Eddie Van Halen in a new interview with Eddie Trunk.
- Buddy Guy teams up with Jason Isbell for new single Gunsmoke Blues Buddy Guy and Jason Isbell have teamed up for brand new single Gunsmoke Blues, a powerful track on gun violence and school shootings in the USA.
- George Ezra could step away from limelight following current tour Indie-pop artist George Ezra could be stepping away from the limelight following the conclusion of his current tour.
- Watch Madonna and Jimmy Fallon make 'Music' in 'Classroom Instruments' Watch Madonna and Jimmy Fallon bring back 'Classroom Instruments' to perform 'Music' on 'The Tonight Show.'
- Judith Durham, Australian folk icon who sang 'Georgy Girl,' dies at 79 Judith Durham, the Australian folk-music icon who sang lead on the Oscar-nominated song 'Georgy Girl' with the Seekers, has died at the age of 79.
- The Chicks pay tribute to Olivia Newton-John with a cover of 'Hopelessly Devoted to You' The Chicks paid tribute to the late Olivia Newton-John at a concert on Aug. 13, singing a live cover of 'Hopelessly Devoted to You.'
- Britney Spears' ex convicted of trespassing after crashing wedding Britney Spears' ex-husband Jason Allen Alexander has been convicted of aggravated trespassing and battery after he attempted to crash the singer's wedding in June.
- Pop star Allie X responds after being called a 'Karen' for leaving her dog in a car Pop star Allie X has responded after she received backlash for leaving her dog in a car.
- Kenny Chesney 'devastated' after woman falls to her death at his Denver concert According to Denver police, an adult female guest at Empower Field at Mile High died as a result of her injuries after sitting on an escalator railing and falling to the concourse below.
- Lady Gaga rallied 'Chromatica' tour attendees for abortion rights in D.C. Lady Gaga dedicated 'Chromatica Ball' tour set to the fight for abortion rights at her Washington, D.C. concert.
- Hear the pulsating first single from Selena Quintanilla's upcoming posthumous album Fans of Selena Quintanilla can now enjoy a new version of "Como Te Quiero Yo A Ti" ahead of the release of her posthumous album.
- Watch Harry Styles' full 'X Factor UK' audition with previously-unseen 'Hey, Soul Sister' performance See Harry Styles sing 'Hey, Soul Sister' as part of his original X Factor UK audition.
- Beyoncé and Madonna join forces for 'The Queens Remix' of 'Break My Soul' Long may they reign: Beyoncé and Madonna have come together for their first official collaboration, aptly titled "Break My Soul (The Queens Remix)."
- Weezer's Broadway residency canceled due to low ticket sales and high expenses Weezer frontman Rivers Cuomo announced the band's planned residency at Broadway Theater is being canceled due to "low ticket sales and unbelievably high expenses."
- Beyoncé to rework Renaissance lyric after ableism accusations Beyoncé is making an alteration to the lyrics of her track "Heated" after being hit with accusations of ableism.
- Beyoncé sent Madonna flowers to thank her for 'Break My Soul' remix Beyoncé sent Madonna flowers thanking her for their 'Queens Remix' of the song 'Break My Soul,' which samples Madge's 'Vogue.'
- Rapper Young Thug faces 6 new felony charges over gang indictment Atlanta-based rapper Young Thug is facing six new felony charges over allegations that he participated in a criminal street gang.
- Adele calls postponed Vegas residency her worst career moment, but there was 'no soul in it' Adele reflected on the postponement of her Las Vegas residency.
- Beyoncé appears to be removing Kelis sample from 'Renaissance' Bey appears to be removing a sample from the 'Milkshake' singer in the song 'Energy' from versions of 'Renaissance' across streaming platforms.
- The 15 best Olivia Newton-John songs Featuring ballads from 'Grease' and 'Xanadu' alongside her own chart-toppers, here are the essential songs from the late Olivia Newton-John.
- Michelle Branch files for divorce from husband Patrick Carney Michelle Branch has officially filed for divorce from Black Keys drummer Patrick Carney after announcing their separation and her arrest following an alleged domestic dispute.
- Dwayne Johnson reveals Taylor Swift's latest 'Taylor's Version' redo Dwayne Johnson hit TikTok to announce that not only is Taylor Swift's 'Bad Blood' the next song to get the 'Taylor's Version' treatment, but it also appears in his new animated superhero flick, 'DC League of Super-Pets.'
- On Beyoncé's 'Renaissance': To be queer, gifted, and Black Beyoncé's new album, 'Renaissance,' is a radical re-envisioning of the American Dream for the Black, queer, and trans folk who inspired it.
- Tina Knowles blesses newswoman's adorable Beyoncé-themed traffic report Tina Knowles responded to a Beyoncé-themed traffic report from NBC10's Sheila Watko: 'This Soo cool!"
- Mystikal arrested on new rape and robbery charges The rapper, whose real name is Michael Tyler, is currently in jail in the Baton Rouge suburb where he lives, the sheriff's office confirmed.
- Beyoncé lands first solo No. 1 song in 14 years with 'Break My Soul' Beyonce's 'Renaissance' song 'Break My Soul' becomes singer's first No. 1 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 since 'Single Ladies' 14 years ago.
- John Legend reveals why his friendship with Kanye West changed John Legend says his friendship with Kanye West changed after he didn't support the rapper's run for office.
- Michelle Branch arrested after alleged domestic dispute amid separation from Patrick Carney Michelle Branch was arrested for alleged domestic assault after telling police she slapped husband Patrick Carney in the face. The arrest comes after the singer announced their separation and accused the Black Keys drummer of cheating on her.
- Simon Cowell expresses grief over death of 'America's Got Talent' star Nolan Neal Simon Cowell is sharing his grief following the tragic death of former 'America's Got Talent' contestant Nolan Neal.
- Lady A postpone tour to support singer Charles Kelley's 'journey to sobriety' The country music band Lady A announced that they're postponing a tour until next year in order to assist singer Charles Kelley on his 'journey to sobriety,' calling it 'a hard but important decision.'
- Marcus Mumford reveals new song is about his childhood sexual abuse Mumford & Sons frontman Marcus Mumford revealed his new single, 'Cannibal,' is about his childhood sexual abuse: 'I hadn't told anyone about it for 30 years.'
- Madonna evolves 'Material Girl' legacy in bonkers Saucy Santana song Madonna remixes her 'Material Girl' legacy with Saucy Santana on a new song 'Material Gworllllllll.'
- Mariah Carey looks back on performing with Olivia Newton-John: 'We sang our hearts out' 'A moment I will never ever forget': Mariah Carey has shared a heartfelt tribute to the late Olivia Newton-John, who memorably joined her on stage in 2002.
- Monica Lewinsky asks Beyoncé to remove her name from 'Partition' after new lyric response Monica Lewinsky has suggested that Beyoncé remove her name from the song 'Partition' after the artist worked to remove an ableist lyric from 'Renaissance.'
- Glyn Johns was reluctant to work with The Eagles after seeing them live: “It was in a club with about four people… it didn’t impress me” In an interview, the producer describes his first impression of The Eagles and explains why he repeatedly turned down the offer to work with the band.
- The Who’s producer made a pact to reduce Keith Moon’s drinking when recording Who’s Next Glyn Johns has spoken out about his deal to reduce the excessive alcohol intake by Keith Moon during the making of the album Who’s Next.
- Jimmy Hall’s first solo album in 15 years taps Joe Bonamassa, Warren Haynes and more Jimmy Hall has announced the upcoming release of his first solo album since 2007, Ready Now, produced by guitar virtuoso Joe Bonamassa and Josh Smith.
- David Gilmour’s mansion is going on sale for £15 million David Gilmour’s UK home is set to be listed later this month, supposedly costing a colossal £15 million.
- Kikagaku Moyo on American bands that refuse to say goodbye: “I find that so capitalistic. Why can’t you guys just end and do new stuff?” Kikagaku Moyo are saying goodbye after their 2022 tour and they have something to say to bands who refuse to call it quits.
- Robert Fripp and Toyah Willcox share dreamy cover of Grace Jones’ Slave to the Rhythm Toyah Willcox and King Crimson's Robert Fripp have released a dreamy cover of Grace Jones’ Slave to the Rhythm on this week’s Sunday Lunch.
- New this week: ‘House of the Dragon,’ Lakers doc and Lovato Here’s a collection curated by The Associated Press’ entertainment journalists of what’s arriving on TV, streaming services and music platforms this week. MOVIES — In the almost 25 years since Princess Diana died, there has never been any shortage of content examining the enormous impact and intrigue of her short life.
- Mobileye and Udelv confirm first large order for driverless delivery pod Israel's Mobileye has teamed up with startup Udelv to get an autonomous electric delivery pod called the Transporter on the streets by 2023, with a plan to produce 35,000 of the self-driving electric cargo haulers by 2028. The post Mobileye and
- Kengo Kuma's greenery-filled office will be a walk in the park With its huge amount of greenery, Kengo Kuma's Park Habitat will offer a more pleasant workplace than the average office building. It will also feature sustainable design, including an interesting cooling central atrium named the "Green Lung
- Roger Bonnecaze Named Dean of the Cockrell School of Engineering – UT News News, stories, and opinions on science, technology, health, education, business, policy, campus life, and more from The University of Texas at Austin. The post Roger Bonnecaze Named Dean of the Cockrell School of Engineering – UT News appeared
- Energy bills crisis puts lives at risk – the government must act, says Martin Lewis Energy bills crisis puts lives at risk – the government must act, says Martin Lewis SOARING energy bills are turning into a Covid-scale national crisis and putting lives at risk, a consumer champion claims. Martin Lewis said its advance was akin to
- Kenya Moore Slams Sanya Richards-Ross As Insensitive For Saying Kenya Uses Her Divorce As An Excuse Up until now, I was trying to give Sanya Richards-Ross a chance. The Real Housewives of Atlanta newbie certainly has an amazing story. I love that Housewives added an athlete to the mix. And an extremely accomplished one at that. Additionally, she se
- Hackers Attack UK Water Supplier, Apparently Send Ransom Demand to the Wrong Company A cyber-attack hit South Staffordshire Water, which supplies 1.3 million people. But hackers claimed they had breached the much larger Thames Water. The post Hackers Attack UK Water Supplier, Apparently Send Ransom Demand to the Wrong Company first a
- Kenya Moore Slams Sanya Richards-Ross As Insensitive For Saying Kenya Uses Her Divorce As An Excuse Up until now, I was trying to give Sanya Richards-Ross a chance. The Real Housewives of Atlanta newbie certainly has an amazing story. I love that Housewives added an athlete to the mix. And an extremely accomplished one at that. Additionally, she seems perfectly nice and relatively cool. But something was niggling at me when …
- Austen Kroll And Craig Conover Are Opening A Restaurant In New York City Of “Reimagined Childhood Classics” Austen Kroll and Craig Conover’s bromance has been one of the steadiest relationships ever on Southern Charm, and that’s saying something. The two best friends have been through it all — relationships, break-ups, business ventures, and more. They infiltrated Summer House as a duo, even though Austen managed to cause the most damage in the …
- Married To Medicine Star Toya Bush-Harris Says She Kept Moving To Avoid “Demonic Mail” Married To Medicine Star Toya Bush-Harris Says She Kept Moving To Avoid "Demonic Mail"
- Below Deck Mediterranean Recap: The Big Re-Veale It’s not her! Ok yachties, we can all breathe easy. Exhale, folks. Malia White is not coming back to Below Deck Mediterranean. On the other hand, the returning crew member joining the deck team was not who I was expecting either. Not even a little bit. I even went back through the lists of former casts …
- Daisy Kelliher, Gary King, And Captain Glenn Shephard Hint At A New Season Of Below Deck Sailing Yacht In Matching Instagram Posts Good news for fans of Below Deck Sailing Yacht! Word on the street is that the gang is getting back together and sailing together on Parsifal III. @belowdeckaboveaverage posted a split photo of screenshots from Daisy Kelliher and Gary King’s Instagrams where they appear to be wearing the same uniform as Captain Glenn Shephard. The post says, “Not Daisy/Glenn & Gary …
- Dorit Kemsley Slams Dana Wilkey For Joking About Affair With Dorit And Mauricio Umansky I will be the first to say that although Dorit Kemsley brings the fashions on The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, these past few seasons, that’s about the only thing she’s buzzworthy she’s brought. Well, if you want to talk about last season’s quick spat with Garcelle Beauvais, we haven’t seen Dorit really give us anything iconic since her …
- Audrina Patridge Reveals She Dated Actor Chris Pine In Her New Memoir With the release of her new book, Choices: To the Hills and Back Again, Audrina Patridge is spilling all kinds of tea. And my favorite kind of tea from a memoir is who the author dated. As reported by Page Six, Audrina revealed in her new book that she dated actor Chris Pine. Unfortunately, the relationship …
- Kandi Burruss Says She Hates Filming Real Housewives of Atlanta Reunions Singer, songwriter, entrepreneur — Kandi Burruss can do it all. She’s a woman of many titles and arguably one of Bravo’s most prolific personalities. But despite her many successes, there’s one thing that is her kryptonite, and that’s the Real Housewives of Atlanta reunions. As reported by Page Six, the RHOA star revealed that she …
- Chanel Ayan Slams Phaedra Parks As A “Thirsty Ex-Housewife” And Shades Phaedra For Past Drama With Kandi Burruss Chanel Ayan has just recently joined the Bravoverse thanks to Real Housewives of Dubai, but she’s already made an impressive splash. Ayan is truly one-of-a-kind. No matter where she is going, you can guarantee she’ll be wearing an over-the-top outfit and carrying an equally-as-outrageous gift. She is shady as they come, and I am totally …
- Olivia Flowers Doesn’t Think Shep Rose And Taylor Ann Green Are Over For Good Things are over between Shep Rose and Taylor Ann Green. At least that’s what they told us. These two split after filming for Season 8 of Southern Charm had ended. On a recent episode of Watch What Happens Live Taylor admitted that, although things weren’t completely over when rumors of their split came out, she and Shep have since decided to …