13 Child Actors Who Returned To School And Got Severely Bullied, Teased, Or Treated Differently,"I was made fun of relentlessly by some people who are now even my friends on Facebook. I was told I was a has-been and would never book a job again."
13 Child Actors Who Returned To School And Got Severely Bullied, Teased, Or Treated Differently
Over the years, many celebrities have opened up about their experiences with bullying as kids. But one experience that’s pretty unique (and extremely harmful) to celebrities is getting bullied because they were child actors. From being only called by their characters’ names to actual violent acts against them, here are 13 former child stars who’ve opened up about this horrible side of working in the industry as a kid:
1. Taylor Momsen said that kids at school teased her “relentlessly” after she played Cindy-Lou Who in the holiday classic How The Grinch Stole Christmas. “Every time I would start at a new school or go somewhere else, I don’t even think the kids knew my name,” she explained on her former Gossip Girl costar Penn Badgley’s podcast, Podcrushed. “I was just ‘Grinch Girl.'”
The bullying got so bad for them, that they had to speak up. Tamera recalled a time she was getting her books out of her lockers, only to hear some bullying. “A kid screamed down the hall, ‘Your show sucks.’… I turned around and said, ‘Well, the checks don’t.'”
3. Jodie Sweetin recalled that she was bullied throughout her entire childhood while working on Full House, but that things didn’t get really bad until middle school. “I would show up to school and I knew people either wanted to be my friend because they were impressed by me, or just wanted to be around me to fuck with me,” she said in an interview with Steve-O’s Wild Ride.
Jodie went on to detail the types of bullying she endured. “I remember walking through the quad in the 7th grade on the first day of school, and someone just chucked an apple right at my head,” she said. “They’d write shit on my locker, or intentionally try to trip me…it gave me a real thick skin. It prepared me well for the internet, that’s for sure.”
4. Sydney Sweeney said that growing up in Spokane, WA (which is comparatively a lot smaller than LA or NY) a lot of the people around her had a “small town” mentality about her decision to pursue acting — and specifically, the parents would influence their kids’ behavior. “They’d be like, ‘I can’t believe that Sydney’s parents are letting her go to the hell-ridden city,'” she told L’Officiel. “Just their closed-minded beliefs, and they would talk about it at the dinner table, and the kids would take it to school and that’s just how everything would go around.”
Sydney went on to explain how that ultimately led to a lot of bullying. “It got to a point that my school had to react and to talk to us about bullying because my phone — my parents took it away because of the things the kids were saying, the voicemails they were sending me — it got really hard. At such a young age, too. I didn’t even know why at the time, I was like ‘what am I doing wrong?'”
5. Jonathan Lipnicki, who starred in projects like Stuart Little and Jerry Maguire, candidly shared how he was bullied as a child in a now-deleted Instagram post. “As a kid/teen, I was made fun of relentlessly by some people who are now even my friends on FB,” he wrote. “I was told I was a has-been and would never book a job again.”
“I was made to feel like garbage every day of middle school to the point I had a panic attack every night before school,” he continued. “It gives me anxiety being this open, but being bullied is a universal problem. I am not a victim, but rather empowered because I was able to turn to my art. Chase your dreams, it’s amazing how mean people peak in their teens.”
6. Rivkah Reyes explained that they had a difficult time in school after playing Katie in School of Rock. “When I first came back to school, people were really nice or really mean. There was no middle ground,” they told the New York Post. “I was literally followed around the school with people chanting School of Rock.”
“I’ll never forget one girl who came up to me and asked me to sign her lunch card, then tore it up and threw it in the trash in front of me,” they continued. “Kids would scream School of Rock quotes at me in the halls. It was annoying and embarrassing. I constantly felt trapped. If I reacted to them positively, I was labeled a bragging snob. If I reacted negatively or ignored them, I was labeled a cold, ungrateful bitch.”
7. Megan Fox once revealed to Glamour that she was bullied in school because everyone knew she was an aspiring actor. “There were some evil girls in my school and I went to a Christian high school. I was 15 and everybody knew that my aspiration in life was to become an actress.”
“One girl came to school on Halloween in a black leather catsuit and everyone thought she was catwoman. She answered, ‘No I am Megan Fox’. She was making fun of me. I didn’t say anything to her. I was really shy.”
8. Natalie Portman talked about how she didn’t have an easy time in school because it was “awkward” to go on set and then go back to be with the other kids. “I mean I think people get bullied for all sorts of reasons and that’s a lucky reason to be bullied for because you are doing something that you love, I mean if you are doing something that you love,” Natalie shared on The Drew Barrymore Show.
Natalie explained that the whole experience actually made her a lot more tuned in to how others are treated. “I do think that that sort of creates your empathy, like being on that side of the teasing certainly makes you never want to make anyone feel like that ever again.”
9. And Drew Barrymore told Natalie that she completely related to what she had to say, and hadn’t heard many people express it before. “The irony is that they would always say to me, ‘You think you’re so special,'” Drew shared. “I was like, ‘I not only don’t think I’m special but you are absolutely confirming I am not.'”
10. Jenna Ortega still went to a regular public school up until she started acting on the Disney Channel and said in an interview on Jimmy Kimmel Live that acting in commercials and other projects didn’t make her a “big deal” at school and most “didn’t care” because at the time neither she nor her classmates really expected her career would take off, but that she did get some “weird random remarks” from her peers about it.
11. Mara Wilson — who starred in childhood classics like Matilda and Mrs. Doubtfire — opened up about how by the time she was a teenager, people in her personal life were awful to her. “My sixth-grade crush had called me ugly, film reviewers said I was ‘odd looking,’ and a boy at my preteen day camp had said to me, ‘You were Matilda? Heh. You’ve gained a little weight since then!’ I went home and cried into a milkshake,” she wrote in The Guardian.
12. Josh Peck said that after his breakout role on Nickelodeon’s Drake & Josh, he was teased a lot at school. “I got crushed, my whole life,” he said on the About Last Night with Adam Ray podcast. He also explained that it felt especially brutal because kids essentially have no filter. “No kid doesn’t feel comfortable telling you right to your face.”
13. Finally, Alyson Hannigan talked about being teased so much about being in a Mylanta commercial where she had to talk about her dad’s indigestion. “It sort of traumatized me a little bit,” she told Drew Barrymore on The Drew Barrymore Show. “I had an audition for a feminine hygiene product right after that, I was already so mortified…and I was like, I can’t do this.”
Install an NVMe SSD on a Dell Precision 5820 tower,I have a Dell Precision 5820 tower that came with 2 NVMe SSD disks on the FlexBay (the front compartment). I have been talking to Technical Support in my country (Spain) to find out how to install a Tags:DellnvmeServer Faultssdstackexchange.com
Mass remove a number of tags from a number of posts,i am having a wallpapers site. I was having lots of posts with no tags and i tried some plugins to auto add tags like simple tags where you need to set some tags and it will auto use those tags for... Tags:stackexchange.comtagsWordPress Development Stack Exchange
23 Actors Who Have Actually Played More Than One Role On A "Law & Order" Series,Before landing her critically acclaimed role as Gerri on <i>Succession</i>, J. Smith-Cameron appeared as four different characters in four episodes of <i>Law & Order</i> starting in 1992. Tags:buzzfeed.comdib celebsevergreengeekyfbKeycatKeytagsTVtv shows
19 Disney Facts That Are Equal Parts Delightfully Geeky And 100% Fascinating,Believe it or not, Disney was not interested in putting their animated movies onto home video and thought it would be a bad idea to do so. Tags:buzzfeed.comevergreengeekyfbKeycatKeytags
Lizzo Responded To Her Former Dancers’ Lawsuit And Said Their Claims Of Sexual Harassment Are “False” And “Outrageous”,“I am not here to be looked at as a victim, but I also know that I am not the villain that people and the media have portrayed me to be these last few days,” the singer wrote in a statement to her Instagram followers. Tags:buzzfeed.comKeycatKeytagstimelyuk celeb team
13 Child Actors Who Returned To School And Got Severely Bullied, Teased, Or Treated Differently,"I was made fun of relentlessly by some people who are now even my friends on Facebook. I was told I was a has-been and would never book a job again." Tags:buzzfeed.comdib celebsKeycatKeytags
19 Things That Happen In Movies That Aren't Like Real Life At All,"I really hate it when a character in a movie puts a flame to a fire sprinkler head which activates and in turn activates all other sprinklers. WRONG! Fire sprinklers are individually activated. Why flood an entire store and ruin everything if there is a fire in a small janitor closet?" Tags:buzzfeed.comflippedKeycatKeytags
13 Times Reporters Got Called Out For Sexist, Mean, Or Inappropriate Articles And Reviews,When a critic said that her role would've been a better fit for Margot Robbie, Carey Mulligan said, "I read the [<i>Promising Young Woman</i>] review, because I'm a weak person. And I took issue with it. It felt like it was basically saying that I wasn't hot enough to pull off this kind of ruse." Tags:buzzfeed.comKeycatKeytags
13 Acting Duos Who Had Great Onscreen Chemistry, But Reportedly Didn't Get Along IRL,When an interviewer brought up the time her <i>A Change of Seasons</i> costar Anthony Hopkins called her "the most obnoxious actor" he ever worked with, Shirley MacLaine said, "I didn't like him either." Tags:buzzfeed.comKeycatKeytagsMoviesTVtv shows
14 Movies That Recast An Actor In The Middle Of Filming (And Why),The day before Connor Ratliff was scheduled to shoot his scenes for <i>Band of Brothers</i>, executive producer/director Tom Hanks fired him for having "dead eyes." Tags:buzzfeed.comKeycatKeytagsMovies
Here’s Why Reese Witherspoon Is Always Brutally Honest With Her Kids About The Things They’re “Not Good At”,“You rob them if you don’t let them sit in the discomfort of the experience,” Reese said on a recent podcast episode. Tags:buzzfeed.comKeycatKeytagstimelyuk celeb team
2023 Vashon Island Film Festival Raises the Bar for Indies,For year two, the 2023 Vashon Island Film Festival (VIFF), which took place August 10-13, 2023, continues to be an independent filmmaker’s paradise and a film lover’s haven. Topping last year’s inaugural event, VIFF founder, international film producer, and island native Mark Sayre went the distance, curating several dynamic and award-winning independent films from the Tags:[db:keycat][db:keytags]filmthreat.comVashon Island Film Festival
I tried boozy advent calendars - my winner had the most unusual flavours,FROM gin and beer, to wine and whisky – indulge yourself with one of 2023’s alcohol advent calendars and the countdown to Christmas could get very merry. Boozy calendars for adults have… Tags:alcoholchristmasDeals and salesmirror.co.ukThe Sun
‘Forced mum of our newborn baby to sleep on floor so I can rest, I need my bed’,One new dad has been branded a 'f***ing p****' after forcing the mother of his two-month-old daughter to sleep on the floor because he was tired and needed his bed to get some 'proper' rest Tags:Babiesmirror.co.ukparentingThe Mirror
Callum McGregor determined to help Celtic end Champions League campaign on high - Soccer News,Captain Callum McGregor believes victory over Feyenoord in their final Champions League game would be no more than Celtic deserved in a doomed campaign. Lazio’s 2-0 triumph over the Hoops in Rome on Tuesday night confirmed last place in Group E for Brendan Rodgers’ side, who will not have European football of any kind in […] Tags:General Soccer Newssoccernews.comSports
Wolves boss O'Neil keen for Hwang to sign new contract - Soccer News,Hwang Hee-chan still has two and a half years left on his contract with Wolverhampton Wanderers, and despite reports suggesting his performances have attracted a number of potential suitors, Wolves manager Gary O’Neil has revealed that he would like to see the tricky winger stay at the Molineux beyond the summer of 2026. “The club […] Tags:English Premier Leaguesoccernews.comSportstransfer news and rumours