UK’s Glastonbury Festival welcomes back fans after pandemic
LONDON (AP) — Thousands of people are returning to England’s Glastonbury Festival as the five-day music and performing arts event reopened Wednesday for the first time in three years after being disrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The festival, which is marking its 50th anniversary, has 3,000 performers scheduled, including Billie Eilish, Diana Ross, Kendrick Lamar and Paul McCartney. McCartney’s weekend gig will make him, at age 80, the festival’s oldest solo headline performer.
Festival-goers started lining up to enter the gates at Worthy Farm in Somerset, southwest England, early Wednesday. Many struggled to get to the site because the festival coincided with the largest rail strike that Britain has seen in decades.
Just 60% of trains were expected to run on Wednesday, with more walkouts planned for Thursday and Saturday.
Hundreds of people waited with their bags at London’s Paddington Station to try to get on a train to the festival.
Camilla Seward, 26, described feeling “abject panic” when the rail strikes were announced.
“It is my first-ever actual festival. We bought the ticket nearly three years ago. I’ve been so stressed out about getting there that I haven’t even thought about who I am excited to see,” she said.
Jenna Conway, 30, thought she could beat travel disruption by getting to Paddington eaerly, but she and a friend were left queuing for hours.
“We got here three hours ahead of our train, we were stupid, we just thought we could jump on any train. We thought they would be kind because of the strikes, but they didn’t let us on, so now we wait,” she said.
Some 200,000 people are expected to attend the festival, which runs until Sunday.
“The wait has been so long and it’s just the biggest build up we’ve ever had,” festival organizer Emily Eavis said.
“Getting Paul McCartney for us is just the ultimate, just the person to have this year to actually bring this whole thing back and bring everybody together,” Eavis said. “And what better way to celebrate that than having Paul McCartney himself.”
- Star Trek’s ‘Strange New Worlds’: In defense of episodic TV Two generations after its 1966 debut, the universe of “Star Trek” has become a vast and sprawling mural in these heady days of streaming TV. There’s the dark and bingeworthy “Star Trek: Picard,” a deep character study of an aging and beloved captain confronting his demons — and saving life as we know it twice in two seasons.
- Clarke wins crash-marred Stage 5, Van Aert keeps Tour lead ARENBERG PORTE DU HAINAUT, France (AP) — Australian rider Simon Clarke won a crash-marred fifth stage of the Tour de France on Wednesday while Wout van Aert clung onto the leader’s yellow jersey despite coming off his bike.
- The Truth About Carlos Santana And Michelle Branch’s Iconic Collaboration The truth about Carlos Santana and Michelle Branch's iconic collaboration is deep, man, real deep. Here's how it came to be.
- J.K. Simmons, Sissy Spacek drama 'Night Sky' canceled after 1 season J.K. Simmons and Sissy Spacek's drama series 'Night Sky' has been canceled after one season at Amazon.
- Former CNN anchor Rick Sanchez says he inspired 'Rick and Morty' character 'It's kind of like my name was hijacked': Ex-CNN anchor Rick Sanchez says he inspired one of the title characters in 'Rick and Morty.'
- 'Pretty Little Liars: Original Sin' trailer introduces new girls and new 'A' The new series from 'Riverdale' creator Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, coming to HBO Max this month, pays homage to the original show and classic horror movies.
- Ben Affleck, Fred Armisen make cameos in trailer for Kevin Smith's meta-comedy 'Clerks III' The Quick Stop workers are serious as a heart attack about making in a movie in Clerks III trailer
- 'Primal' season 2 exclusive: Creator teases more action, new worlds The Adult Swim sensation 'Primal' finally has a season 2 premiere date — and a trailer!
- Jacqueline Stewart to lead Academy Museum of Motion Pictures Film scholar Jacqueline Stewart has been named the next director and president of the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures in Los Angeles
- Who has played Doctor Who? Complete list of Time Lords from Jodie Whittaker to William Hartnell SEX Education actor Ncuti Gatwa has replaced Jodie Whittaker as the new Time Lord for 2023. Fourteen different actors have now stepped into the shoes of the Doctor since the series first began in 1…
- Mary Mara Dead: Actress of ER & Ray Donovan fame ‘drowns’ as tributes pour in for Syracuse native A HOLLYWOOD actress drowned in a New York River on Sunday. Mary Mara, 61, was found in the St Lawrence River by New York State troopers and other emergency crews in Cape Vincent. The town lies abou…
- Review: An Irish hitman juggles murder with parenthood In “The Lemon Man,” Dublin, Ireland, hitman Patrick Callen discovers a baby after killing its drug-dealing father
- Chanel gets gently geometric in far-flung Paris couture PARIS (AP) — Birds tweeted -- not fashionistas -- the day Chanel brought its couture guests to the calm of the Bois de Boulogne forest. On Tuesday morning, bleary-eyed VIPs walked across tons of white sand through the Etrier de Paris equestrian center on the leafy outskirts of Paris, past lines of spinning wheels and inflatable capsules as nature, fashion and art mingled.
- A celebrity volcanologist couple spotlighted in new doc There is a curious love triangle that sits at the center of the new documentary “ Fire of Love ." It's between a man, a woman and a volcano.
- Noah Cyrus Is Opening Up About A Dark Period Of Her Life Musician Noah Cyrus is gearing up to release her first full-length album and opening up about her struggles with addiction.
- Kourtney Kardashian Is Furious With How The Paparazzi Acted During Travis Barker’s Hospitalization Kourtney Kardashian is clapping back at the paparazzi for being "savagely uncool" amidst Travis Barker's health scare. Here's what she had to say.
- 'Big Brother 24' will have premiere and eviction night twists 'Big Brother' host Julie Chen Moonves shares teases on the new season 24 twists, turns, and themes.
- Macy Gray accused of transphobia after saying surgery 'doesn't make you a woman' Macy Gray says she supports the LGBTQ community after being accused of transphobic remarks in an interview with Piers Morgan in which she discussed identity and trans women participating in sports.
- Teen Mom Jade Cline shares behind-the-scenes look at filming for new MTV show with co-star Maci Bookout TEEN Mom star Jade Cline has shared a behind-the-scenes look at filming. She and Maci Bookout will star on the new MTV show, Teen Mom: Legacy. Jade posted two videos of herself and Maci filming. Th…
- Celebrity birthdays for the week of July 10-16 Celebrity birthdays for the week of July 10-16: July 10: Actor William Smithers (“Dallas,” ″Peyton Place”) is 95. Singer Mavis Staples is 83. Actor Mills Watson (“B.J. and the Bear,” ″Lobo”) is 82.
- Inside Love Island stars Millie and Liam’s five-star holiday as they head on first break in months after split rumours LOVE Island winners Millie Court and Liam Reardon have headed on their first holiday in MONTHS after battling split rumours. The couple – who rose to fame on the ITV2 dating show last summer …
- Kim Kardashian appears in Love Island villa after Luca’s comments about her in hilarious viral meme LOVE Island fans have been digitally editing Kim Kardashian into the villa – ever since Luca Bish’s bold statement about her. The fishmonger insisted he’s so happy with Gemma Owen…
- RHONJ star Teresa Giudice, 50, nearly spills out of a tiny jean bikini top in a sexy new photo REAL Housewives of New Jersey star Teresa Giudice has nearly spilled out of her tiny jean bikini top in a sexy new photo. Teresa, 50, showed off her bikini body in an Instagram Story. The RHON…
- Jeopardy! fans reveal how Mayim Bialik ‘slows down the game’ as viewers think Ken Jennings will be permanent host JEOPARDY! fans believe Mayim Bialik is slowing down the game and killing the momentum of the contest. And the cries for Ken Jennings as permanent host only grow louder. As fans wait for Ken’s…
- James Cameron says he may not direct the final few 'Avatar' films James Cameron says he may not direct the final few 'Avatar' films.
- Duffer Brothers tease Hawkins set, 'Return of the King-ish' series finale of 'Stranger Things' Ross and Matt Duffer tease the 'feature-length' season 5 finale of 'Stranger Things.'
- Heard seeks to throw out verdict in Depp defamation trial RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Amber Heard's lawyers have asked a judge to throw out the $10.35 million verdict against her in the defamation case filed by ex-husband Johnny Depp, arguing that the verdict was not supported by the evidence and that one of the jurors may not have been properly vetted by the court.
- Tacoma woman pleads guilty to stealing more than $600,000 SEATTLE (AP) — A 40-year-old Tacoma woman has pleaded guilty to wire fraud involving a scheme to defraud friends and acquaintances out of more than $600,000. Sabrina Taylor admitted to lying about her health, employment status, and education to steal money from people who had offered to help her, said U.S.
- Judge in Italy ends detention for Haggis in sex abuse case ROME (AP) — A judge in southern Italy on Monday ordered film director Paul Haggis released from detention at his hotel while prosecutors decide whether to pursue their investigation of whether he allegedly had sex with a woman without her consent over two days, his lawyer said.
- 'Andor' creator reveals five-year narrative structure of the 'Star Wars' prequel series 'Andor' showrunner Tony Gilroy reveals the five-year narrative structure of the 'Star Wars' prequel series.
- Amber Heard's attorneys ask court to toss verdict in Johnny Depp defamation trial Amber Heard's attorneys asked to toss the verdict in Johnny Depp's defamation trial against her.
- Joseph Quinn cried his eyes out after Stranger Things 4 shoot Joseph Quinn talks his killer 'Stranger Things 4' ending, including shredding guitar to Metallica's 'Master of Puppets.'
- Virginia law stops early inmate releases, angering families RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Christopher Ford was a baby when his father was sentenced to 28 years in prison for participating in a murder-for-hire scheme that led to the killings of two people at a car dealership.
- Kim Kardashian accused of photoshopping her face, waist & butt in new pics after fan spots ‘obvious signs’ KIM Kardashian has been accused of photoshopping snaps of herself in New York on Instagram. The reality star, 43, shared a series of photos from her getaway to the Big Apple with her sons Saint, si…
- When was the last time Eminem and Snoop Dogg collaborated? RAP legends Eminem and Snoop Dogg are teaming up together once again. Throughout the years speculation has been made about the professional relationship between Snoop Dogg and Eminem. When was the …
- Brewers begin 3-game series against the Cubs Chicago Cubs (32-47, third in the NL Central) vs. Milwaukee Brewers (46-35, first in the NL Central) Milwaukee; Monday, 4:10 p.m. EDT PITCHING PROBABLES: Cubs: Justin Steele (3-5, 4.39 ERA, 1.48 WHIP, 67 strikeouts); Brewers: Eric Lauer (6-3, 4.02 ERA, 1.23 WHIP, 80 strikeouts)
- Teen Mom fans go WILD after Chelsea Houska’s hunky husband Cole DeBoer shows off six-pack abs during shirtless workout TEEN Mom fans have gone wild over a new video of Chelsea Houska’s hunky husband. Cole DeBoer appears shirtless in a new Instagram stories video. In the video, Cole, 34, is shirtless, with his…
- Ricky Martin denies restraining order allegations Puerto Rican superstar Ricky Martin is denying allegations that led to a restraining order against him, with police noting that he has not been charged with any crime
- Ricky Martin calls allegations behind domestic abuse restraining order 'completely false' Ricky Martin denies allegations in domestic violence restraining order filed against him in Puerto Rico.
- Feds: R. Kelly remains on suicide watch ‘for his own safety’ NEW YORK (AP) — Federal authorities are pushing back on R. Kelly's claims that he was placed on suicide watch as a form of punishment last week after a judge sentenced him to 30 years behind bars for using his fame to sexually abuse young girls.
- Several dead in Copenhagen mall shooting; suspect arrested COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) — A gunman opened fire inside a busy shopping mall in the Danish capital Sunday, killing several people and wounding several others, police said. A 22-year-old Danish man was arrested, Copenhagen police inspector Søren Thomassen told reporters, adding there was no indication that anyone else was involved in the attack, though police were still investigating.
- Melbourne man, 61, sentenced for online child abuse offences A Hurstbridge man, 61, who paid for child exploitation material to be transmitted live from the Philippines on a web-cam has been sentenced to five The post Melbourne man, 61, sentenced for online child abuse offences appeared first on TrendRadars.
- To stem Rupee slide, boost forex inflows, RBI eases FPI, NRI deposit norms Govt, RBI prepare to mitigate volatility and dampen global spillovers by expanding sources of forex funding. The post To stem Rupee slide, boost forex inflows, RBI eases FPI, NRI deposit norms appeared first on TrendRadars.
- Love Island fans all have the same complaint after dramatic Casa Amor recoupling LOVE Island fans all had the same complaint after dramatic Casa Amor recoupling tonight. Viewers of the ITV2 thought that they were finally going to find out if the islanders were going to stick wi… The post Love Island fans all have the same complai
- Long-lost iPhone clownfish return in iOS 16 beta 3 Long-lost iPhone clownfish return in iOS 16 beta 3 When Apple first showed off the original iPhone in early 2007, the demo included a Lock Screen image of a pair of clownfish. The pic was not on the device when it shipped, but some people say the pi
- Reality TV Star Jasmine Burkitt Dead at 28 Reality TV star Jasmine Burkitt has died. Burkitt, who appeared in the BBC Three documentary series Small Teen Big World and Small Teen Bigger World, passed away on June 27 'after a life long battle with a very serious mental illness.' She was 28.Bur
- Exploring the magic of Taiwan’s ‘Spirited Away’ city A photographer tells us about returning to the enchanted city of Jiufen, perched on a mountain overlooking the sea. The post Exploring the magic of Taiwan’s ‘Spirited Away’ city first appeared on Science Radars.
- “Sex Education” Fans, Grab Your Tissues, Because We’ll No Longer Be Seeing Patricia Allison AKA Ola Nyman On The Show "I've genuinely loved it."
- Jordan Fisher, Talia Ryder Reflected on Past Relationships for Netflix Rom-Com ‘Hello, Goodbye and Everything in Between’ Jordan Fisher and Talia Ryder discuss their new Netflix YA rom-com, "Hello, Goodbye and Everything in Between."
- AMC+’s Unique Moonhaven Serenely Defies Review AMC+ original Moonhaven is a goofy, unique sci-fi outing, one that defies review and boggles the mind.
- Prime Video Cancels 2 TV Shows, Renews 6 More & Announces 1 Is Coming to An End Prime Video Cancels 2 TV Shows, Renews 6 More & Announces 1 Is Coming to An End Amazon's Prime Video has announced another cancellation! This year, the streamer has announced that six of their TV shows have been renewed for additional seasons…
- Jack Kilmer to Star Opposite Clifton Powell in B.B. King Drama ‘The Thrill Is On’ (EXCLUSIVE) Jack Kilmer has nabbed a leading role opposite Clifton Powell in B.B. King drama "The Thrill Is On," Variety has learned exclusively.
- ‘Amsterdam’ Trailer: Christian Bale and Margot Robbie Chase a Conspiracy in David O. Russell’s Latest David O. Russell's "Amsterdam" stars Christian Bale, Margot Robbie, and John David Washington as a trio of friends caught up in a conspiracy.
- Movie Preview: Viola Davis is “The Woman King,” fighting colonization inAfrica "True story," the cusp of the 19th century, Dahomey, a power in pre colonial Africa, an Oscar winning star, a sometimes good director needing to redeem herself after that Netflix bomb "Old Guard," this September 16 release looks promising but of course this could go either way. https://youtu.be/3RDaPV_rJ1Y
- Only People Who Eat, Sleep, And Breathe Marvel Will Be Able To Identify These Characters Based On The Things They Love And Hate Ultron: Loves world peace, hates living things.
- First Trailer for David O. Russell’s Amsterdam Reveals a Star-Studded Crime Epic After a prolific first half of the last decade with five films in four years––The Fighter, Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle, and Joy––David O. Russell
- JoJo Siwa Learns to Be a Doctor In ‘JoJo Goes’ Exclusive Clip – Watch Now! We have an exclusive first look at the new episode of JoJo Siwa's Facebook Watch series JoJo Goes. The series ...